I've had my share of insecurity in life. I don't think I'm the only one. I believe that most people struggle with it at one time or another and sometimes in various areas of their life. It has been quite a journey but I've overcome a lot of those feelings of inadequacy. Recently I can feel some of them creeping back in though. We are in the midst of some heavy changes in life, including me looking for work. Nothing stirs up insecurity like looking for a job after being a stay at home mom for the past seven years!
When I started college I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I remember picking a major because it sounded interesting. Fortunately, it was. I stuck with it all four years but never knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I was done. It's not like I went to school to be a teacher or a doctor or something specific like that. I studied Communication. Do you have any idea how many different jobs you could get with a major like that? I didn't. The first job I landed was in TV news. I wasn't really sure I wanted to be there. There were many things I liked about it but many things I didn't. I was young and inexperienced. I burnt out quickly and left that job. I never really recovered after. I worked various other jobs but nothing that was ever "in my field". Then I became a mom. That was the most natural job I could have. That's worked well for me for the past seven years.
Recently I had a revelation about myself. I am Emmet! You know, Emmet from The Lego Movie. If you haven't seen it you should. Every time I start to look for jobs or read job descriptions I find myself feeling overwhelmed and under qualified. I feel like if I were to step foot in a job interview it would look something like Emmet's motivational speech to the master builders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cd4AVvGis
So Emmet was not very good at selling himself but by the end of the movie, he proved that he was actually "the special" and that we all have something about us that makes us special. He just needed that chance and that push to prove himself. Before that, he just went along with what everyone else did and never stretched outside of his comfort zone.
So this is my comfort zone. Being a stay at home mom. I've been very comfortable with it for all these years. I'm going to miss it. I do like being here for my family and having the flexibility to be with my kids when they need me. I'm also excited about what opportunities are opening up. I don't know if I'll find the perfect job right away but I think whatever is coming will just be one more thing that leads me to more self discovery.
I was created by God. My identity is in him. He made me to be "the special" just like he did you. I believe my journey with him is going to be some of the best experience I can take with me wherever I go!
When I started college I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I remember picking a major because it sounded interesting. Fortunately, it was. I stuck with it all four years but never knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I was done. It's not like I went to school to be a teacher or a doctor or something specific like that. I studied Communication. Do you have any idea how many different jobs you could get with a major like that? I didn't. The first job I landed was in TV news. I wasn't really sure I wanted to be there. There were many things I liked about it but many things I didn't. I was young and inexperienced. I burnt out quickly and left that job. I never really recovered after. I worked various other jobs but nothing that was ever "in my field". Then I became a mom. That was the most natural job I could have. That's worked well for me for the past seven years.
Recently I had a revelation about myself. I am Emmet! You know, Emmet from The Lego Movie. If you haven't seen it you should. Every time I start to look for jobs or read job descriptions I find myself feeling overwhelmed and under qualified. I feel like if I were to step foot in a job interview it would look something like Emmet's motivational speech to the master builders.
" I
may not have a lot of experience fighting or leading or coming up with
plans. Or having ideas in general. In fact, I'm not all that smart. I'm
not, what you would call, a creative type. Plus, generally unskilled.
Also, scared and cowardly. I know what you are thinking: he is the least
qualified person to lead us. And you are right."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cd4AVvGis
So Emmet was not very good at selling himself but by the end of the movie, he proved that he was actually "the special" and that we all have something about us that makes us special. He just needed that chance and that push to prove himself. Before that, he just went along with what everyone else did and never stretched outside of his comfort zone.
So this is my comfort zone. Being a stay at home mom. I've been very comfortable with it for all these years. I'm going to miss it. I do like being here for my family and having the flexibility to be with my kids when they need me. I'm also excited about what opportunities are opening up. I don't know if I'll find the perfect job right away but I think whatever is coming will just be one more thing that leads me to more self discovery.
I was created by God. My identity is in him. He made me to be "the special" just like he did you. I believe my journey with him is going to be some of the best experience I can take with me wherever I go!
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope" Jeremiah 29:11
Everything is awesome!
Comments
Post a Comment