There have been certain points in my life where I feel restless. More so now than when I was younger. When I think about it, most of the early part of life is spent waiting and working towards the next goal to happen. There's grade school, middle school, high school and then college. After college was job and marriage. Then there are other life happenings to get ready for and get excited about like buying a house, having kids and possibly changing careers. So now that most of that stuff has happened in my life I find that every so often I feel restless for what's next. More kids? New house? Job change or new career for myself or Brad? All of these things could be possibilities but we are sort of at a point in life where we feel stuck. Not necessarily in a bad way. We do have two great kids and a house of our own. Brad has a stable and steady job that he actually likes. So this is not really meant to be a complaint. In some ways it's more of a struggle. In terms of worldly things we are constantly battling that feeling of wanting more and actually needing more. I would love a bigger house with an extra bathroom...but I'm not sure if I need it right now. As far as careers go, Brad really does like his. I am convinced that he chose the right profession. He LOVES math and really has a heart for education. He is really good at what he does but still he stops to ask himself if being a high school math teacher is what he wants to do for the rest of his life! As a stay at home mom and someone who has never had much of a career I struggle constantly with the "who am I" question. Is there more to me than just mom?
And so we bring our requests to God because we believe we are on earth for HIS plan. We ask him to give us an answer...anticipating big things that are going on in OUR minds. I can tell you that at least 3 separate times this year he has given us the same answer....WAIT. That's right. Not the answer or exciting news we were hoping for...but it's an answer. It was last spring that Brad went for prayer at church to get healing for a pain in his arm. He was healed that day but also the person praying for him could sense that God was doing more. It was then that God first told us to wait and be patient. Then a few weeks ago Brad and I were talking about all of this and our restlessness was getting all stirred up again. We talked and talked until one night Brad was having a lot of anxiety over it. I asked the question "have you prayed about this because WE have not prayed together?" So there we stopped and prayed and God gave Brad the same answer...WAIT...it's not your turn yet. And then just a few days ago at our small group we all stepped out of our comfort zone during ministry time and guess what happened? God showed up! And guess what He told me? That's right...wait. Be patient.
So I have no idea what specifically we are waiting for and perhaps it's because we don't really even know what we want! I do know that the place we are at is not a bad place to be waiting and that God's plans are bigger than anything I can imagine for my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7TSGptd3Y
1 Corinthians 1:25
"This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength."
And so we bring our requests to God because we believe we are on earth for HIS plan. We ask him to give us an answer...anticipating big things that are going on in OUR minds. I can tell you that at least 3 separate times this year he has given us the same answer....WAIT. That's right. Not the answer or exciting news we were hoping for...but it's an answer. It was last spring that Brad went for prayer at church to get healing for a pain in his arm. He was healed that day but also the person praying for him could sense that God was doing more. It was then that God first told us to wait and be patient. Then a few weeks ago Brad and I were talking about all of this and our restlessness was getting all stirred up again. We talked and talked until one night Brad was having a lot of anxiety over it. I asked the question "have you prayed about this because WE have not prayed together?" So there we stopped and prayed and God gave Brad the same answer...WAIT...it's not your turn yet. And then just a few days ago at our small group we all stepped out of our comfort zone during ministry time and guess what happened? God showed up! And guess what He told me? That's right...wait. Be patient.
So I have no idea what specifically we are waiting for and perhaps it's because we don't really even know what we want! I do know that the place we are at is not a bad place to be waiting and that God's plans are bigger than anything I can imagine for my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7TSGptd3Y
1 Corinthians 1:25
"This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength."
I have definitely gotten that "WAIT" before as well. It is frustrating! I even said to God, "Just give me a clear Yes or No." And he said... (you guessed it) WAIT. :)
ReplyDeleteI was in that situation not too long ago so I know how you feel. Even though I was frustrated I continuously told God that I had faith in him and he would lead me where he wants in his own time. Finally he was ready and look at me now. I'm working again after 8my years and doing everything I can to go back to school and get my masters. A masters! Who would ever thought that I would be here right now. I don't know if it will happen yet but I have faith that if it is God's plan that's where I'll go. If not then I will continue to wait and listen.
ReplyDelete"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6
This is the one that kept reminding me to just wait:
ReplyDelete"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord: be strong and take heart and wait for the lord."
Psalms 27: 13-14