Birthday Weekend

Just a few days after Mason turned one, I also got another year older.  I like birthdays.  It's nice to have a day when you can feel special.  My husband is not great with special occasions.  I've learned to live with this and set my sights low so that I don't put too much pressure on him!  I like to tell him that he has the rest of his life to get it right!  There are times that he does try though and when he tries, he does it right!

This year he kept telling me that he was planning something for my birthday.  He started casually asking me about getting away for a weekend.  I'm usually the planner if we get out of town so it was hard to give up control. We worked out some initial details such as, what weekend would work and would I feel comfortable leaving Mason for one night or two and then I stopped asking questions.

During the week he started letting me in on details.  One new detail each day.  He is actually terrible with surprises.  He is not good at keeping it all in and usually wants to tell everything right away!  First he told me where we were going.  We would be headed to Indianapolis.  We went there a couple of years ago for a weekend get away so I was looking forward to going back.  It's a nice city to visit and not too far away.  The next day he told me what hotel we were going to stay at. 

Two years ago when we visited we stayed a different downtown hotel.  Ever since then, he has wanted to stay at the Marriott.  He thought it was such a cool building and we love nice hotels!  I wasn't too surprised when he told me this was the place!  It certainly was a great place to stay!
The view from our room



The whole time we were there I wanted to break out into song.  I felt like Annie visiting "Daddy" Warbucks' house!  The staff at the hotel were very friendly and quick to be "at your service."  Valet parking and lots of "I hope you enjoy your stay."  Just imagine me and the staff singing "We hope you understand, your wish is our command...I know I'm gonna like it here......."

We enjoyed some down time and then another surprise.  Brad took me to a jazz festival happening in the city.  We like to try new things and he wanted to plan some kind of event.  It was fun to go to since we had never been to a jazz club and both of us like music. 

It was no problem to get anywhere for the evening because surprise again, Brad hired a driver for us for the evening!  It wasn't a limo but just a nice car and it made the evening so relaxing! 

Me with our driver, Nancy
We finished our evening with a late dinner at The Melting Pot.  It is one of our favorite restaurants!  We go about once a year.  It is never disappointing!  They even seated us in a very private area.  It was it's own little room with a booth!  Brad said he couldn't take credit for that one!

Brad always enjoys sampling different wines
Overall it was a great birthday and just nice to get away.  Our children did great without us!  Even my baby Mason.  A big shout out to our babysitter, Lea for making this weekend possible!

Comments