Guilty!

Happy Election Day!  I have avoided politics as much as possible my whole life.  I feel like elections just bring out the judgement in people.  Instead of calmly and politely saying "I don't agree with that issue and I think someone else might do a better job" you hear slanderous messages about how stupid the candidate is and how dumb you must be if you vote for him.  I have seen all kinds of people pushing their agenda's and getting their digs in on Facebook and most of it just seems ugly.  I really have wanted no part in it. 

I had no plans to take part in this year's election but then I had a change of heart.  I read many convicting statements and articles about not making excuses and every vote counts.  I was convicted that I live in a country where I DO get to vote.  I won't lie, I often take this freedom for granted.  I know that in other countries people don't get a say but somehow I still have a hard time believing that my vote really does count. 

I don't always understand all of the issues and don't know where to find the most accurate information, but today, I voted.  I will not disclose which candidate I chose because no matter what, someone will just say I'm wrong. (Amusing side note:  My husband and I did NOT choose the same presidential candidate!)  This year I did not make excuses or give reasons not to vote.  Despite my uncertainty, I went out and made the best decision I could make. 

I believe that who ever is elected deserves some level of respect.  That person and the people who supported him should not be slandered or made to feel bad for their choice.  I am very much a peace keeper by nature so please, let's keep the peace! :)  Either way, I relieve myself of guilt because instead of sitting on the sidelines this election day, I got out and voted!


Comments