Making Time

I had such a great weekend I thought I should write about it! 

I don't really feel like I have a lot of stress in my life but I do feel tired sometimes from the day to day grind of parenting.  It's been especially taxing lately.  My boys talk all the time.  My 4 year old has a list of never ending questions and my 2 year old is constantly, well, being 2!  He has regular tantrums over things that don't go his way and gets frustrated easily.  He and his brother are often arguing over toys.  I could go on and on.  I was definitely starting to feel like I had reached my breaking point.

My wonderful husband often encourages me to take time for myself.  On Friday he only worked a half day so that afternoon I went out to do some shopping.  It was hard to totally feel relaxed though.  Even when I get the chance to go out I often feel the pressure of what is waiting for me at home.  I still have responsibilities.  Things need to be cleaned, I have to go grocery shopping, etc.  So unfortunately, Friday was nice, but didn't totally recharge my battery.

On Saturday though, I got to take a much needed day out with one of my best friends!  We drove to the Woodfield mall and had an entire day to ourselves.  No agenda, no kids, no husbands calling to see where we are at and what time we are coming home!  It was like heaven!  We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory and wandered in and out of stores.  We decided to go to Bare Minerals and let them do our make up.  I also bought things that were just for me which is something I don't do much of anymore.  I splurged on make up and a new hair straightener.  It felt good to let go and I have no guilt over buying things for myself.  My husband even cleaned while I was gone so I didn't feel like I had so much to do when I got home!  The next morning I woke up feeling totally refreshed.  It was just what I needed. 



Monday, Brad had the day off so we set out in the morning for breakfast at The Original Pancake House and then to Curtis Orchard for some fun!  I felt like I was really able to enjoy the family time because of the time I took for myself.  The kids had a lot of fun and I didn't feel like the mommy who was about to lose her cool. 
So the moral of this story is, let go!  Figure out what you need to give yourself a boost and do it!  Of course, it has to be within reason but when you open yourself up there are probably more possibilities than you think!

Comments

  1. It WAS a fantastic day! Glad we got to recharge together! I feel like it was one last little blessing before my life slips into high gear for who knows how long. So glad we're friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment