Service with a smile!



Last night our family had an opportunity to serve a dinner at Restoration Urban Ministries (Rum).  This was our third time being there.  The first time we took popsicles and ice cream to pass out.  Last month we served a dinner.  Our church partners with this ministry making it really easy for us to be involved this way.  I love it when service is made simple!  I don't always have an idea of the best way to reach out to those in our community or even know where to start.  I can't always anticipate what others need.  This is an organization that is already working and so we can just work along side them to bless the people there.

Serving is something that just clicks with me as a Christian.  From loading up groceries at a food pantry or giving a friend a ride across town, it's all a practical way to bless people.  I still have lots of room for improvement though.  I'm guilty of grumbling over helping some one out. 
 
This passage came to my mind today:

John 21:16-18 (NLT)

16 Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

I want to live a life that reflects the Father's love.  I want things like serving and giving to be a natural part of my life and my children's lives.  I am thankful for these opportunities that are easy to be a part of with my kids!



Comments