Two weeks ago we made a transition with our kids. We took Caleb's crib down and moved him into the toddler bed into his brother's room. We gave Micah a new (to him) bigger boy bed. Lots of people told me "you are going to love having them share a room." So we went for it. Caleb was confused that first night. He watched as we took his crib down and I could tell there was a look of worry on his little face. Already I was wondering if this was the right decision. Micah was very excited to have a new bed and seemed excited to have his brother sharing a room because they were "best friends." The first night was rough but that was to be expected. Caleb talked and talked and finally fell asleep 2 hours after going to bed. Then he woke up at 3 in the morning and could not go back to sleep. It was not good. The next night seemed better. It still took him about 2 hours to get to sleep and lots of us saying "no talking" but he did not wake up as early the next day. Since then it has been the same. He talks and talks when he goes to bed and it takes him at least an hour to go to sleep. There have been a couple of nights the kids went to bed late anyway and he fell asleep a little easier but it still isn't good because it's been just about 9 by the time he gets to sleep every night and he has been consistently waking at 6:30. This is just not enough sleep for him and I end up with a cranky or loopy child the next day.
Micah has also been very tired. With his brother talking, it's hard for him to fall asleep. And Caleb promptly wakes his brother up in the morning. Naps have still been good but I make Micah sleep in our room because he doesn't actually sleep every day. Micah has been actually sleeping during nap time a lot more since this transition. Caleb has been napping very well in his new bed and new room and I'm wondering if that's because he's alone.
It's just not feeling worth it to me. I'm afraid to keep changing things around but I also don't think we should continue this way. This is new territory for us. When Micah transitioned out of his crib and into a new bed and new room...it was easy. He was 23 months and the move went well. He didn't have trouble adjusting. But Caleb is a different kid and isn't an only child. That is why I didn't even attempt this change until now.
In all of this, Micah has not complained too much but he looks tired every day. He has also said that he does not like his new bed. The bed he's using is a trundle bed (a twin bed with another bed underneath that pulls out) so it's a little taller than a normal twin bed. Micah says he doesn't like it because it's too tall. Thank goodness I did not go for bunk beds! So basically, no one is happy right now. I welcome any one's thoughts and advice on this subject but I'm starting to feel like I need to trust my gut. I was never really sure about them sharing a room in the first place. I had a feeling Caleb couldn't handle it. I don't know if it will be more of the same if we put him in the other room but I think it may be worth a try. And if that doesn't work...I may go so far as to put that crib back up! Pray for us!
Micah has also been very tired. With his brother talking, it's hard for him to fall asleep. And Caleb promptly wakes his brother up in the morning. Naps have still been good but I make Micah sleep in our room because he doesn't actually sleep every day. Micah has been actually sleeping during nap time a lot more since this transition. Caleb has been napping very well in his new bed and new room and I'm wondering if that's because he's alone.
It's just not feeling worth it to me. I'm afraid to keep changing things around but I also don't think we should continue this way. This is new territory for us. When Micah transitioned out of his crib and into a new bed and new room...it was easy. He was 23 months and the move went well. He didn't have trouble adjusting. But Caleb is a different kid and isn't an only child. That is why I didn't even attempt this change until now.
In all of this, Micah has not complained too much but he looks tired every day. He has also said that he does not like his new bed. The bed he's using is a trundle bed (a twin bed with another bed underneath that pulls out) so it's a little taller than a normal twin bed. Micah says he doesn't like it because it's too tall. Thank goodness I did not go for bunk beds! So basically, no one is happy right now. I welcome any one's thoughts and advice on this subject but I'm starting to feel like I need to trust my gut. I was never really sure about them sharing a room in the first place. I had a feeling Caleb couldn't handle it. I don't know if it will be more of the same if we put him in the other room but I think it may be worth a try. And if that doesn't work...I may go so far as to put that crib back up! Pray for us!
Comments
Post a Comment