I meant to write this post sooner but things have been busy. Last weekend was the Illinois Marathon in Champaign. I participated the very first year they had it by walking the 5k. Brad has participated a couple of times running the full marathon. This year it was a family event.
I have always hated running. I never had any desire to run and I was never any good at it. I'm pretty sure in high school it took me about 15 minutes to finish the mile. Why would I run when I could walk? Walking is so much more enjoyable! That being said, I've been married to a runner for 7 years. He enjoys the challenge of a half or full marathon. It gets to the point where running 3 miles is just barely a warm up for him! I guess after being married to a runner for so long I caved and decided to give it a try! I had no intentions of completing a lengthy race but a 5k seemed like it was achievable. I also figured that since I was trying to lose weight and be more active this year, running would be a good way to change up my exercise program and challenge myself. So my training began in late February. I wasn't overly excited about running which made it hard to get started. I planned to use the couch to 5k program but finding the time to run was difficult. First of all, running outside when it was cold was not at all appealing. Second, finding time to run with 2 kids at home was difficult. I'm also not a morning person. Waking up at 5 just to get a run in was just not something I was willing to do. I also do not own a jogging stroller so taking the kids out with me was not an option. I did what I could with all of these obstacles in my way. At first, I tried to run during the times when Brad was home. This worked out as long as the weather cooperated! For a couple of weeks I ran up and down the street outside of my house during nap time. This way I could fit running into my schedule! That worked out until I needed to get more distance. The last few weeks of training I teamed up with friends. One friend had the brilliant idea to get a group of moms together who wanted to exercise. We would meet at a park with all of our kids. Half of the moms would go for a run or walk and the other half would stay back with the kids. Then we would switch. I think that was the point when it became more fun! Having other people around with similar goals and sometimes people to run with was very encouraging.
Friday, April 27, 2012 was the big day! I didn't have a direct time goal in mind but I was hoping to finish in under 40 minutes. My main goal was just that I wanted to complete at least 1 mile without stopping to walk. I did achieve that goal but didn't quite make it to under 40!
My sister, step-mom and several friends also participated in the 5k! Then the next day, Brad complete the half marathon with a new PR of 1:47:51!
To finish off the event, Micah ran in the Youth 1k! He loves to see his daddy go out for a run and is always wanting to go too. He was so excited to complete it and get his medal!
I think the best part was that this was such a family event! Next year we can hopefully have our little Caleb involved too!
I have always hated running. I never had any desire to run and I was never any good at it. I'm pretty sure in high school it took me about 15 minutes to finish the mile. Why would I run when I could walk? Walking is so much more enjoyable! That being said, I've been married to a runner for 7 years. He enjoys the challenge of a half or full marathon. It gets to the point where running 3 miles is just barely a warm up for him! I guess after being married to a runner for so long I caved and decided to give it a try! I had no intentions of completing a lengthy race but a 5k seemed like it was achievable. I also figured that since I was trying to lose weight and be more active this year, running would be a good way to change up my exercise program and challenge myself. So my training began in late February. I wasn't overly excited about running which made it hard to get started. I planned to use the couch to 5k program but finding the time to run was difficult. First of all, running outside when it was cold was not at all appealing. Second, finding time to run with 2 kids at home was difficult. I'm also not a morning person. Waking up at 5 just to get a run in was just not something I was willing to do. I also do not own a jogging stroller so taking the kids out with me was not an option. I did what I could with all of these obstacles in my way. At first, I tried to run during the times when Brad was home. This worked out as long as the weather cooperated! For a couple of weeks I ran up and down the street outside of my house during nap time. This way I could fit running into my schedule! That worked out until I needed to get more distance. The last few weeks of training I teamed up with friends. One friend had the brilliant idea to get a group of moms together who wanted to exercise. We would meet at a park with all of our kids. Half of the moms would go for a run or walk and the other half would stay back with the kids. Then we would switch. I think that was the point when it became more fun! Having other people around with similar goals and sometimes people to run with was very encouraging.
Friday, April 27, 2012 was the big day! I didn't have a direct time goal in mind but I was hoping to finish in under 40 minutes. My main goal was just that I wanted to complete at least 1 mile without stopping to walk. I did achieve that goal but didn't quite make it to under 40!
My sister, step-mom and several friends also participated in the 5k! Then the next day, Brad complete the half marathon with a new PR of 1:47:51!
To finish off the event, Micah ran in the Youth 1k! He loves to see his daddy go out for a run and is always wanting to go too. He was so excited to complete it and get his medal!
I think the best part was that this was such a family event! Next year we can hopefully have our little Caleb involved too!




Comments
Post a Comment