Curtis Orchard Trip....an event we'll never forget!

Yesterday we met up with friends and took a trip out to Curtis Orchard.  We go every year at least once.  It seems like each year it gets more crowded.  We decided first to take the kids out to the pumpkin patch and then after some time we made our way to all the fun play stuff.  There were a total of 5 adults and 6 kids.  Brad was pulling a wagon with 4 kids in it and my friend, Lynette was pushing the stroller with Caleb.  Another friend had stopped to use the restroom so I pushed the stroller with her baby in it.  We pulled off to the side near all the play areas to wait for her return.  All of the kids in the wagon got up and started to scatter.  I told Brad to keep an eye on Alex because I didn't want to lose someone else's child!  At that moment our friend Anne came back to claim her children and I asked Brad where Micah was.  He looked at me and said "I don't know.  I thought you were watching him".  I scanned the area and didn't see him so I assumed he followed his other friends into the little play area.  I went over and searched but there was no sign of him.  I started to feel a little nervous.  I gave Brad a look and told him Micah was not there.  So off I went in one direction and Brad in another to search the other nearby play areas.  I walked back and forth and even took a look in the ones that require tokens to get into thinking that he somehow hot in there...but couldn't find him.  At that point it felt like it had been 25 minutes but was probably only 5.  I kept searching, periodically making eye contact with Brad or one of our friends to see if they had him yet.  At one point I remember stopping and thinking "oh my goodness, I lost my child".  I had quick thoughts of what if I never find him and also thinking back to all the recent news stories of attempted abductions.  I said a quick prayer and moved on with my search.  It seemed clear to me at that point that he wasn't in that area and I had no clue what to do at that point.  I decided to make my way back up to the store because I knew someone working there and thought maybe they might have some kind of policy for something like this.  Brad was headed that same direction but we really didn't even speak.  He just kept looking different places and I went directly into the store.  I saw a familiar face working and asked her if she had seen Micah.  At that point I was doing everything I could to hold back the tears.  That is when they realized that someone had just brought a little boy up to the front and told me that he was outside.  I walked out the door and saw Micah.  Brad had just made his way up there too.  Micah looked at us and said "I was looking for you but I couldn't find you".  He didn't seem to scared and was very quickly ready to get back with his friends.  We had a quick talk about not wandering away from mommy or daddy and I walked him back to the play area.  Really...the whole thing was probably just a matter of minutes but it felt like such a long time!  I felt like the worst parent in the world and have never been so scared.  Even today as I write this I feel that sick feeling in my stomach. 

After that we had a pretty good day hanging out with friends.  The kids continued to laugh and play and we didn't have any more incidents (other than Caleb trying to eat a rock)!  I feel like the moment I stopped to pray was the moment I had the idea to head to to the store.  We were so thankful for God's protection yesterday and so glad that we could still have a good time. 

I really don't think I'm the worst parent of the year but do feel pretty embarrassed by the situation.  I love my children so much and would never want anything to happen to them. 

Anyway...here are some of the fun moments from our trip.



Comments