A few months ago, I wrote an update on what was happening in our lives. I wrote about Brad getting a teaching job at a high school here and that I wasn't entirely sure what my next steps would be. Now here we go into the transition. Brad will be heading back to high school in a couple of weeks and at the end of this week, I will be headed back to my role as stay at home mom.
Transitioning back to what I know is mostly easy. It's also hard. I was expecting a chance to launch into some type of career of my own but that never really took off and with money being an issue, we didn't feel like we had the luxury of waiting around to see if it would. Looking back at the past year though, I think I've learned some valuable lessons.
Both Brad and I were able to see what it was like to reverse our roles. He played the role of the stay at home parent and I worked full time. I got to experience what life is like when you're rushing out the door in the morning and not home all day to deal with things. I am able to appreciate that it isn't always easier to get up and leave the house every day and then come home at the end and still try to have energy for the family. He got to see all of my daily roles at home. Dealing with kids all day every day, their schedules and their stuff, trying to keep the house cleaned, making phone calls, running errands, and the list could go on. He has told me he has a greater appreciation for what I do at home. But there is an even bigger lesson learned this year....
I've learned to appreciate what I do at home!
This summer Brad has been the primary one at home with all the kids. He took them to swim lessons, the library, ran errands, and even made play dates. All this while keeping the house picked up and taking care of things at home. I've experienced what it's like to be the one out working all day, not having as much time to run to the store or do laundry or clean. I've experienced what it's like to leave the house in the morning and know I don't have to worry because my kids are in good hands and whatever dishes I didn't have time to pick up after breakfast will probably be picked up for me when I return. I've come home at the end of the day to a stress free environment and hear all about the fun my kids had that day.
All of this has opened my eyes to how valuable a stay at home parent can be. It's not glamorous or always fun. No body really says "I want to stay home and clean the house when I grow up" but it's one of those adult responsibilities that we get stuck with and even more so when kids are involved! I've realized how important it is to have a family that is a team. Knowing that my husband and I can switch roles to make things work when we need to is huge. It's not about who's career is advancing or who has it better working or staying at home, it's about doing what you need to do for your family as a whole. What's best for all of us, not just one of us.
I'm excited to be able to offer this support to my husband as he goes back to work. I hope I can keep our home life stress free just as he has tried to do that for me over the last several months. None of this is entirely new but I do feel like I was able to gain fresh perspective over the course of the year. I'm thankful that our children have been able to spend so much time with their dad. I feel like our kids know they can count on both parents and I feel like our marriage is stronger because we know that we are all in this together.
I usually write these as updates for friends and family. I also feel led to share this to encourage married couples. It doesn't really matter if you are working or a stay at home parent, when you work together your family will thrive, you will thrive. I feel like these verses apply:
"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." Mark 10:9
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31
Be blessed, friends!
Transitioning back to what I know is mostly easy. It's also hard. I was expecting a chance to launch into some type of career of my own but that never really took off and with money being an issue, we didn't feel like we had the luxury of waiting around to see if it would. Looking back at the past year though, I think I've learned some valuable lessons.
Both Brad and I were able to see what it was like to reverse our roles. He played the role of the stay at home parent and I worked full time. I got to experience what life is like when you're rushing out the door in the morning and not home all day to deal with things. I am able to appreciate that it isn't always easier to get up and leave the house every day and then come home at the end and still try to have energy for the family. He got to see all of my daily roles at home. Dealing with kids all day every day, their schedules and their stuff, trying to keep the house cleaned, making phone calls, running errands, and the list could go on. He has told me he has a greater appreciation for what I do at home. But there is an even bigger lesson learned this year....
I've learned to appreciate what I do at home!
This summer Brad has been the primary one at home with all the kids. He took them to swim lessons, the library, ran errands, and even made play dates. All this while keeping the house picked up and taking care of things at home. I've experienced what it's like to be the one out working all day, not having as much time to run to the store or do laundry or clean. I've experienced what it's like to leave the house in the morning and know I don't have to worry because my kids are in good hands and whatever dishes I didn't have time to pick up after breakfast will probably be picked up for me when I return. I've come home at the end of the day to a stress free environment and hear all about the fun my kids had that day.
All of this has opened my eyes to how valuable a stay at home parent can be. It's not glamorous or always fun. No body really says "I want to stay home and clean the house when I grow up" but it's one of those adult responsibilities that we get stuck with and even more so when kids are involved! I've realized how important it is to have a family that is a team. Knowing that my husband and I can switch roles to make things work when we need to is huge. It's not about who's career is advancing or who has it better working or staying at home, it's about doing what you need to do for your family as a whole. What's best for all of us, not just one of us.
I'm excited to be able to offer this support to my husband as he goes back to work. I hope I can keep our home life stress free just as he has tried to do that for me over the last several months. None of this is entirely new but I do feel like I was able to gain fresh perspective over the course of the year. I'm thankful that our children have been able to spend so much time with their dad. I feel like our kids know they can count on both parents and I feel like our marriage is stronger because we know that we are all in this together.
I usually write these as updates for friends and family. I also feel led to share this to encourage married couples. It doesn't really matter if you are working or a stay at home parent, when you work together your family will thrive, you will thrive. I feel like these verses apply:
"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." Mark 10:9
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31
Be blessed, friends!
Comments
Post a Comment