This new life

It has been about a month now that everyone is in with their new schedules. Brad is doing well with school. He is finding ways to manage classes, studying and parenting without feeling too crazy! The big kids are doing well in school so far, or at least I haven't heard otherwise. Micah doesn't seem to be making friends as quickly as I thought he would but I know he's not just playing by himself at recess either. He doesn't seem to have anyone he really talks about yet. It seems his closes friend so far is a boy from another class, which makes sense because that boy comes to our house a few times a week for before and after school care. It has been great having him here and given Micah a chance to really form a friendship.

Caleb seems to really enjoy Kindergarten. I was very nervous about him when the year started. Preschool was always so up and down. He never wanted to go but always seemed to enjoy it while he was there. He is the type of kid who still has a lot of meltdowns over little things and never seemed interested in learning. I hate to compare kids but Micah was farther ahead academically when he started Kindergarten so I wasn't sure if Caleb was too far behind. I still don't know how he is progressing exactly but I feel confident since he seems to be doing with the school routine. He goes willingly and seems to have more of an interest in learning now. He has already grown up so much since school started.

I have been at work for four weeks now. The first couple were pretty rough. I felt like I was back in school and really had some doubts about my ability to learn something completely new! It was also much harder than I thought it would be to leave Mason. I knew he was being taken care of but I missed him so much. I cried for the first couple of days. He had some trouble adjusting too. It's hard to say if all of his mood swings were the changes or just because of his age but they were definitely present. He also stopped napping for about the first week. It was hard on both of us. He seems to be better with it all now. He went back to napping normally. His mood swings are still there but he did just turn 2 and honestly, he was pretty moody before I went back to work!

I am feeling more confident at my job now. I can't say I love it but I also don't hate it. I'm pretty neutral.The job itself is boring. There is a part of me that likes knowing what is expected of me and just going in and being left alone to do my work every day. There is another part of me that is more social, more creative and feels like I'm missing out on something that could be better.  I often feel like I'm just a robot, performing the same task over and over for several hours a day, totally replaceable. I do have goals I have to meet so at least there is a bit of a challenge to try and improve every day. The working environment seems to be good. My co-workers are all very nice and very willing to help and answer questions. My supervisor is also very nice and I haven't picked up on any negative vibes among anyone.

 I do miss being a stay at home mom but I'm also enjoying some of the role reversal that has come. I like the freedom of walking out the door every morning and knowing that I don't have to worry about getting kids to school or scheduling their appointments. There is total freedom in knowing that I am no longer the one enforcing homework after school or constantly serving meals and cleaning up after everyone. I still do some of these things but not like before. Brad and I have reversed some of our responsibilities and others have become shared.

I don't believe that God just wanted me to get a job and make money to bide my time while Brad is in school. I believe He has just as much purpose for my life as he does my husband's. For now I will continue to do the best job I can where I'm at and keep praying to see what is to come.

Comments