Father's Day Reflection

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!  Father's Day is a time when most people reflect on what their own father's are like or maybe the kind of father their spouse is.  Sometimes we just celebrate the day without giving it much thought.  This weekend my dad took our kids camping for the weekend so we got to have 2 kid free nights!  I decided to stop and intentionally ask myself "is my dad a good day?"  and the answer is yes.  What makes a "good" father?  I'm sure that most people would come up with lots of similar traits.  For me I was thinking of just that fact that my dad is always there.  When my sister and I were little and my mom was not in the best shape, my dad was the one who took care of us.  He had many opportunities to walk out on his family when things were difficult but he chose to stay.  I remember being little enough for him to hold me as we slow danced in the living room.  I remember going to movies and putt putt golf.  One of the things I think makes a good father is that spending time with his children is not viewed as a chore.  My dad never made it seem like he was burdened to watch us.  We never felt like we were an inconvenience or a chore.  We were a family. 

Now he is grandpa.  The boys love him and always have a great time with him.  They really enjoyed the camping trip this weekend.  They got to go fishing and play in the river, sleep in a tent and just have a great time.  Still, they are no inconvenience to him.  It seemed as if he had as much fun as they did!  So thanks, Dad, for being a good father and grandfather. 
Also...my husband is a good father!  Maybe it's true what "they"say about girls marrying men that are like their own father's because Brad has many of those good qualities.  He doesn't act like it's a chore or a bother to be with his kids.  When I leave the house I don't have to ask permission or worry about who's watching the kids.  He doesn't look at it as "babysitting."  Even when working 2 jobs he makes time to see his kids for at least a little bit on his busy days.  Our boys look at him like he is a hero.  I think Micah may have melted his heart one day in the car when he told Brad "but daddy, you fix everything."  I'm glad that I have such a wonderful husband a partner and that my kids have a great father.  Happy Father's Day honey!  We love you!

One of my favorite pictures from Fall 2011


Comments