Lessons from my 2 year old

Today has been one of those days.  I always think it will be easy and relaxing just having one kid around the house but for some reason it never goes as planned.  I dropped Micah off at preschool and there was no one outside to walk him in which meant I had to do it.  I don't mind this but it's really hard with Caleb because more and more, he wants to go to preschool with his brother!  The end result is usually me carrying my crying child out to the car because he doesn't want to leave.  Sure enough, that's how it played out this morning.  We were able to spend our morning at home.  I figured we would play a little bit and then I could get a few things done.  Not so much.  Little Caleb was whiny and clingy.  We played trains for a little while and looked at some flash cards but it wasn't enough.  The morning seemed to be all about meltdowns and time outs.  Ugh. 

Finally, it's nap time.  I'm so thankful that my kids nap regularly.  I so need this time for my sanity!  There are a number of things I could do during nap time.  I could watch TV, check Facebook, do some chores, work out, etc.  Today I knew the first thing I needed during this quiet time was some actual quiet time with God.  I sat down to pray and be still and the thought hit me...I'm not that much different than a 2 year old. 

My 2 year old is precious to me.  I couldn't love him more and I have his best interest at heart.  He doesn't understand this most of the time.  My will battles his will and it almost always ends in tears.  He doesn't understand that he's just not quite ready for preschool or that he needs to stop and rest in the afternoon.  But, wait.  Isn't that me?  I am precious to God and He loves me and wants the best for me.  Sometimes my will battles His will and I get frustrated because I'm not listening or understanding.  He knows things that maybe I'm not quite ready for and knows that sometimes I just need to give up and rest in Him. 

Fortunately, God has more patience than I do.  He doesn't yell or get mad when I don't follow directions.  And fortunately, His grace is extended to me as a parent.  So on days like today when I feel my blood pressure rising over the battle of wills, I can stop and rest in Him and approach my child with His grace and love. 

Comments