Our church has recently launched what it calls "Crescendo" which is essentially a growing campaign. When our pastor first started talking about it, I heard him use the phrase "sacrificial giving" (no, not like lambs or babies or anything) several times. Brad and I really wrestled with that. We felt that in order to give more we really would have to sacrifice something from our current standard of living. There were only a couple of areas in our budget where I could see this happening and I wasn't sure I was ok with it. When we began this year, Brad and I were determined that we would save more money. That means that Brad works 2 jobs. We live quite well and within our means from his full time job but there is usually not much left over to save or do much extra. So it is very easy for him to teach a class at Parkland each semester to make extra money. With that check we are able to save or do some of those extra things. I don't consider myself "poor" and even though there are many things that I want, I have never felt like we are really "doing without."
We started praying about our involvement in Crescendo and during that time Brad put in his request to teach a class or two this summer. We figured that two classes was a long shot but expected him to have one. We were extremely disappointed last week to learn that he did not get any classes for the summer. At first I felt a little bit of panic. I wondered if I should take on a part time job or summer job. We knew there still might be an option for Brad to teach summer school at his high school but we just weren't sure what was going to happen. I was determined though that I was going to trust God with this and I was going to take every opportunity I could to hear His voice.
Last Sunday was the official Crescendo launch at our church. Our pastor encouraged people to get prayer concerning our involvement in it. I don't usually get prayer at church. I always feel like I need to get my kids quickly or find some other excuse not to, but this time I felt sure that I needed to do it. I went down and a woman I didn't know prayed for me. I gave her the back story of our situation and told her that we just found out that Brad was not going to teach at Parkland this summer. I don't remember her exact words but I do remember that she prayed specifically for the Parkland job. Something like maybe they overlooked Brad or that they would have to go back and look again and find some favor with him. I remember this because in my mind I was thinking that door is closed and maybe God will just open up some other opportunity that will be just as good. Either way, Brad and I were sure the door to Parkland was closed for the summer!
Then just yesterday, Brad received a call from the department chair at Parkland. He apologized and said somehow he missed Brad's request for a class this summer and he wouldn't have realized it except that a class became available and the first person they offered it to turned it down. So then when the chair had to go back through to see who was available he realized his mistake. So now Brad will be teaching this summer!
God is so good and faithful. He wants to bless us. It's not about what we do for Him or how much we give to our church or any other ministry. The only thing that Brad and I did was listen and trust. I am excited to see what He is going to do next in our lives and in our community!
We started praying about our involvement in Crescendo and during that time Brad put in his request to teach a class or two this summer. We figured that two classes was a long shot but expected him to have one. We were extremely disappointed last week to learn that he did not get any classes for the summer. At first I felt a little bit of panic. I wondered if I should take on a part time job or summer job. We knew there still might be an option for Brad to teach summer school at his high school but we just weren't sure what was going to happen. I was determined though that I was going to trust God with this and I was going to take every opportunity I could to hear His voice.
Last Sunday was the official Crescendo launch at our church. Our pastor encouraged people to get prayer concerning our involvement in it. I don't usually get prayer at church. I always feel like I need to get my kids quickly or find some other excuse not to, but this time I felt sure that I needed to do it. I went down and a woman I didn't know prayed for me. I gave her the back story of our situation and told her that we just found out that Brad was not going to teach at Parkland this summer. I don't remember her exact words but I do remember that she prayed specifically for the Parkland job. Something like maybe they overlooked Brad or that they would have to go back and look again and find some favor with him. I remember this because in my mind I was thinking that door is closed and maybe God will just open up some other opportunity that will be just as good. Either way, Brad and I were sure the door to Parkland was closed for the summer!
Then just yesterday, Brad received a call from the department chair at Parkland. He apologized and said somehow he missed Brad's request for a class this summer and he wouldn't have realized it except that a class became available and the first person they offered it to turned it down. So then when the chair had to go back through to see who was available he realized his mistake. So now Brad will be teaching this summer!
God is so good and faithful. He wants to bless us. It's not about what we do for Him or how much we give to our church or any other ministry. The only thing that Brad and I did was listen and trust. I am excited to see what He is going to do next in our lives and in our community!
Love it! God takes care of his children! Just another story that you will be able to tell about trusting God, and him coming through for you like he always does.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to share such an awesome answer to prayer and a great example of making the CHOICE to press into God! You guys ROCK!
ReplyDelete