So I wasn't sure if I should write something like this but I guess since it is my blog I can say what I want!  This is in NO way meant to be judgement on anyone else.  It's just our thoughts and convictions.


When I was little, Santa was a huge part of my Christmas.  My parents really did it right!  All of the Santa presents were left unwrapped but completely put together and ready to be played with.  That's how we knew they were from Santa!  My sister and I would creep out in the wee hours of the morning while it was still dark and head in the living room to see what Santa had left.  He always ate the cookies we left him and our stockings were always filled to the top with candy and little toys!  It was magical. 

As I got older, I stopped believing in Santa but still felt that Christmas we really magical.  Somewhere deep inside I had hoped that Santa really was real!  My parents continued to spoil us at Christmas even when Santa stopped making appearances.  That is until our family was hit hard financially.  By then I was probably around 12 but that first Christmas with no gifts under the tree was still really hard.  Although my mom had always tried to teach us the "reason for the season" I didn't really have the true meaning of Christmas in my heart.  It was a sad time for all of us as we hoped for a Christmas miracle.  Christmas morning came and there really were no presents under the tree.  I'm sure it was hard on my parents because they had been so used to giving in overload and now were barely scraping by. 

Fast forward to me as an adult and engaged to Brad.  As we talked about our future and how we might want to raise our children he told me that he did not want to play Santa to our children!  He said he felt betrayed when he learned Santa wasn't real and did not want to traumatize our children that way.  I never felt bad about being lied to over Santa but I guess it was something that he felt very strongly about.  I wanted to object and argue but strangely enough, I found myself saying "ok".  It was as simple as that for me for some reason.  And now that we have kids it makes even more sense.

Now we can nit pick over religious differences and holiday traditions all we want but the bottom line is that we (the Heller's) are celebrating Christmas to remember that Jesus Christ was born and that His birth means new life for us all.  That is the message I want my kids to know.  I feel like if I spend all this time and effort taking them to visit Santa and wrapping presents from Santa that it might get confusing.  Especially when some day they are older and realize that Santa really isn't going to leave a gift for them.  Santa only comes once a year but Jesus is available 24/7!  Santa skips the kids who are naughty but Jesus forgives!  Santa isn't real...but Jesus IS!  Now how can I combine the two after I think about it like that?

I do let my kids watch the fun Christmas cartoons with Santa.  I think Santa does have many positives.  He is giving and cares for children.  The message is all about hope and believing.  That is something I can get behind.  So far Micah hasn't noticed much about Santa.  He doesn't ask me if he's real or not.  He doesn't really talk about it with his friends.  I don't know how we'll address it as he gets older.  I don't have it all figured out yet, The one thing I don't appreciate is when people tell me I'm robbing my kids of something at Christmas.  My children are very happy and enjoy Christmas.  They get gifts and decorate a Christmas tree.  This is what works for OUR family.  If Santa visits your house then great!  Whatever you choose, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. 

If you need a place to go or are looking for something different this year, please feel free to stop by The Vineyard Church in Urbana on Christmas Eve at 4:30 or 6:00 PM! 
www.thevineyardchurch.us











 

Comments

  1. I agree. My parents went all out on the Santa thing, and the same thing happened... They went broke one year, and we were all devastated. With my daughter, I try to emphasize Jesus. She still watches the movies too, and sometimes talks about Santa, but I don't leave gifts from Santa or lead her to believe he is real. Sometimes when she mentions him I'll tell her that the story of Santa is a story, just like Cinderella, but sometimes I just let it go and let her imagination go wild. But I never insist she believe he is real. I love what you said about Santa coming once a year, but Jesus is around all year long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like these sentences "Santa only comes once a year but Jesus is available 24/7! Santa skips the kids who are naughty but Jesus forgives! Santa isn't real...but Jesus IS!"

    There is one specific time I remember telling my parents that I heard Santa's bells one Christmas eve. Other than that. I remember going to Christmas Eve services, Christmas caroling with my church, reading the nativity story the night before Christmas, and making sure the figurines of the wise men were no where near the manger scene, since they were still traveling!

    You are not robbing your children of Christmas, just helping them remember the real purpose of it.

    And nice plug for our weekend services!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Friend! Well The Gossetts feel the same way about Santa, and although others have tried to sway us we are sticking with "no Santa" for many of the reasons you described! We have started telling Madelynn about baby Jesus this year and it is exciting as she is sort of getting it. We have decorations with Santa and Snowmen. She likes the snowmen best. It is not something we think is evil or anything but like you said, it is just where is the heart of the season for you. Well said. I might have to rant on my own blog about this, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment